testata-surrounding

Castiglione della Pescaia

castiglione

Castiglione della Pescaia is an ancient village overlooking the sea, located between Punta Ala and Marina di Grosseto. The oldest part is a romantic corner over the Tirreno. The village has also a touristic sea-port from where leaves nice daily excursions to the Arcipelago Toscano. Castiglione della Pescaia has ancient origins, the first traces of population in this area date back to about 60,000 years ago, while the first urban settlement fits in Vetulonia, that is an ancient village that Etruscans founded near the lake “Prile” (now disappears). Romans founded the village of Salebrone, well-known for its mild weather, its lake rich of fishes and its woods rich in wildfowl. After the decline of the Roman Empire and the Barbarian raids, Castiglione della Pescaia has been given to “Pisa” by the King Ottone I of Saxony, Emperor of Germany. Pisa used its wealth, and it doesn’t bother the silt up the harbor and the waters of the Lake “Prile” which became stagnant, and cause malarial illnesses.

Vetulonia

Vetulonia is an ancient Etruscan village which gave to the Romans the emblems of fasces and axe.
Vetulonia joins its maximum glory in the centuries between the VII and the VI b.C., it still retains many memories of its ancient power. After the Etruscans Golden-age, Vetulonia declined, and in the year 1181 they built the “Colonna” Castle, a fortified establishment, in order to defend the population. The Colonna Castle had impressive city walls which today still remain a few traces. Close to the village is located the famous Etruscan Necropolis. Nowadays there is lots of interesting tombs to visit, most significant are the “TOMBA DEL DIAVOLINO” and “TOMBA DELLA PETRERA”, you can see them both driving by the road direction “Buriano”. In the village you can visit an archaeological museum, newly opened, with finds of great value. You can also admire a suggestive hilly countryside landscape.

vetulonia-web

Parco dell’Uccellina

parco-maremma

The regional Natural Park of Maremma, also called “Parco dell’Uccellina” was founded in 1975, despite its small size (almost 10.000 ha) and its young age, in a short time it has become a reference point for an increasing number of people. In 1993 it was awarded “European Park” released by the European Council. Visiting the “Parco dell’Uccellina” is a pleasant and educative experience, but join just one itinerary could be not so fulfilling. We suggest to organize more than a short visit, remember that it is not a zoo, animals (deer, birds, pheasants, wild-boar…) live in freedom, and they are not at our disposition. It is possible visiting the Park just on foot, there are two streets that give the access to Excursions: Alberese and Talamone. The entrance Alberese is open every day. For any kind of information about timetables and visits we suggest you to contact the Park Information Office. The Park is a few km far from one of the most beautiful beaches of the Maremma coast, and only 2.5 km from the village of Alberese which is furnished with all kind of services. Typical Restaurant, and Osterie are located around the Park so that you can taste several typical Tuscan dishes.

Grosseto

Grosseto is the main chief town of Maremma, seat of an important Archaeological Museum where discoveries of the Etruscan civilization, and famous Sienese painters’ paintings can be admired. The name of the town we find for the first time in a parchment dated 803 a.C., where the written testimony appears of a settlement “in-place Grossito” which in 973 a.C. is already a manor of Aldobrandeschi Royal Family. So it begun the “domain” of this powerful family of Lucca, which changed Grosseto from Castle to Court, and later on in “Civitas”, in the April of 1138, together with the transfer of the bishop’s seat of the ancient Roman-Etruscan town of “Roselle” to that “Grosseto”. The building boundary (still very well preserved) which frames the Grosseto old city center is dated between the 1573 and the 1593 under the kingdoms of Francesco I and Ferdinando I de’ Medici.
gr

Monte Argentario

argentario

Monte Argentario is a promontory, which plunges in the “Tirreno” sea in front of the two most southern Islands of the Tuscan archipelago: Isle of Giglio and Isle of Giannutri. Argentario was born as an island, but during the centuries the combined action of sea-currents with the Albegna river has created two “Tomboli” ( sand-dunes): the Giannella Tombolo and the Feniglia Tombolo, which have joined the island to the mainland and so it created the “Lagoon of Orbetello”. The top of the Monte Argentario is “Punta Telegrafo” (635 mt), the promontory is characteristic of a complete mountains territory which has been rounded off, during the years, by the man’s work, so that they created special terraces where vineyards are cultivated. The coast is very scraggly, and offers several stony inlets of remarkable naturalistic beauty. In this environment, the two seafaring villages raise, and together represent the council of Monte Argentario. Porto Santo Stefano on the east side, the municipal building seats, and Porto Ercole, smallest than the other one, on the south.

Terme di Saturnia

The Saturnia Thermal waters are famous in the world because of its prodigious thermal spring. It’s concerned with sulfurous – carbonic – sulfate – bicarbonate – alkaline – earthy, which spouts from the subsoil to 800 lt. per seconds, the unchanging temperature is 37°. Thanks to its special composition, and its natural temperature, the Saturnia water has healthy and stimulating properties, efficient for skin, respiratory device and bones. One can plunge himself into the famous Molino waterfalls, those are located in the atmosphere of the Maremma countryside, few kilometers far from the center of Saturnia. There, the entrance is free, and during the wintertime that hot shiver is a healthy sin. That is suitable for all the people of any age. Suggestive atmosphere in the night: small waterfalls lit up by the moon light. The thermal water of the sulfate-spring spouts inside the establishment of “Terme di Saturnia”, where one can plunge himself in the natural pools or joins the hydro-massages. The Terme di Saturnia establishment offers several healthy services: besides the hydro-therapy and the classic thermal therapies such as: mud-wrapped, aerosol, etc…, it is also possible to join of esthetic treatments and holistic massages.
saturnia_cascate_del_mulino

Capalbio

dintorni-capalbio-2

Capalbio, is the last council located in the south part of Tuscany. It’s surrounded by impressive fifteenth-century walls. The access to the village is thru an ancient seines style door. In the area it’s easy to find Restaurants which serve typical meal made with wild-boar and wildfowl. Besides its beautiful beach, characteristic from a dark color and favorite destination by an Elite tourism, just 20 km far away there are the beautiful Silver Coast’s wild beaches. The nearest promontory “Monte Argentario” offers a breath-taking spectacles with wonderful cliffs.

Pitigliano

Once you have a look at Pitigliano from the Church “Madonna delle Grazie”, which was dedicated in memory of the plague of 1527, you will have an unforgettable scenographic impression. Built on a promontory made in tuff-stone, it might look like a lot to the city of Orvieto; but “Pitigliano” is more primitive and absolutely combined with nature thanks to the embrace of the vegetation and the grayish color of the rock which shown cuts perpendicular to the road. An alternation of lights and shadows, geometric figures: squares and angles, whose human sense is perceptible in broken lines characterizing the roofs, the castle and the “lily tower” (Florentine style). In Pitigliano, we can breathe air of civilizations and cultures that have taken place over the centuries: the Prehistoric Era, with finds dating back to the Neolithic Age; the Etruscans period with its archaic and oriental phases to which it dated back also some Greek products; the Roman period which has joined the people in a common order; the Medieval period signed by the Aldobrandeschi, which has been the greatest dynasty of the Central Italy, Lords of the Maremma for about half a millennium. Then the Renaissance magnitude of the Orsini family, and after a short period of Sienese domain, Pitigliano was ruled by “ Medici” and later by their heirs: “Lorena”. You cannot miss a visit to the fortified “Orsini Palace” with a beautiful Renaissance courtyard where there is an ancient “well” with armorial bearings of Aldobrandeschi and Orsini. Inside the building you will find the Museum that keeps many art and archaeological objects. In the “Piazza della Repubblica” we can admire an example of an aqueduct dated back to the 1500. In the square dedicated to Gregorio VII there is a beautiful cathedral that keeps paintings of many Sienese painters.
pitigliano03

Massa Marittima

Massa_Marittima
Old town, (almost 2.000 years) situated on a hill at 380 meters above sea level, and approximately 15 km from the “ Golfo del Sole”. Massa Marittima’s history is closely linked to the mines of silver, copper, pyrite of the “Colline Metallifere”, exploited since the first metal age (3rd millennium BC) and then mostly in Etruscan and medieval-age. The mines were later reactivated from 1830 until 1970 Massa Marittima still keeps its Medieval style, the 14th century is the heyday economic, political, demographic and cultural, during this century were built the most prestigious artistic buildings and monumental, those that still characterize the urban structure of the village. You cannot miss the “Balestro del Girifalco” race between the Crossbowmen of districs of the city, but is also a very exiting historical evocation.

Siena

Siena lays on three hills between sources of river Arbia and river Elsa. It is an industrial and agriculture center, rich in great masterpieces and ancient buildings, but not less importance, it is also home of the most important Italian folk events: The Palio. On the Etruscan settlement (which traces are preserved in the Archeological Museum) was founded a military roman colony during the kingdom of the Emperor Augusto: Saena Iulia, which in the following centuries will develop thanks to its favorable position (the city was situated on the Cassia, one of the most important streets in conjunction with Rome, la francigena). Thriving city from the X century, it became the city of merchants, bankers, Popes, and Saints. With the plague of 1348 he began the slow decline of the town, until the fall of the Republic and its assignment (thru the peace of Cateau Cambrésis) to Florence, after it was involved in the events of the “Granducato di Toscana” until the unification of Italy.

siena